I’m Mitchell K. Hobish, Ph.D.—a highly self-motivated client advocate, working as a consultant and freelance scientist and technologist for over 34 years, intimately engaged with many aspects of operations, leadership, and management.
I work with private sector, academic, and state, federal, and international governmental organizations. In the process, I have accumulated interdisciplinary experience in a wide range of sciences and technologies and the dynamics of the organizations that support them. Details of some of these experiences are summarized below.
Based on this technical and organizational experience, I also work successfully with professionals to help achieve peak performance for themselves and for the teams with which they work. Details of my professional coaching work are found here. You can also visit my blog to see how I integrate my technical activities into my approach to coaching.
Education and Training
|2011||Training in Professional Coaching, Fowler-Wainwright Institute|
|1998||MBA coursework, University of Baltimore Merrick School of Business, Baltimore, MD|
|1982||Ph.D., Biochemistry, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD|
|1974||B.S., Biology, Tulane University, New Orleans, LA|
|1971||B.A., English, double-degree candidate in Electrical Engineering, The University of Rochester, Rochester, NY|
Selected Ongoing and Historical Experience in Relevant Functional Areas
Strategic Planning, Leadership, and Management
- Executive Director, National Space Grant Foundation, Washington, DC
- Owner, Sciential Consulting, LLC, Baltimore, MD and Manhattan, MT
- Co-chair, Advisory Board, Montana Space Grant Consortium, Bozeman, MT
- Member, Technical Advisory Committee, NASA Montana EPSCoR, Bozeman, MT
- Calibration/Validation Engineer, Plan development, NPOESS PP Integrated Program Office, NOAA, Silver Spring, MD
- Chair, Montana Section, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Bozeman, MT
- Consultant, Big Sky Carbon Sequestration Partnership, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
- Group Leader and Participant, NASA Astrobiology Program Roadmap Workshop, NASA Ames Research Center
- Consultant, Science Planning, Earth Observing System Project Science Office, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD
- Visiting Scientist, United Nations Development Program, Institute for Fundamental Studies, Kandy, Sri Lanka
- Member, Business Expansion/Retention, Marketing, and PR Committees, Gallatin Development Corporation, Bozeman, MT
- Project Coordinator, Montana Palladium Research Initiative, Montana State University, Bozeman, MT
- Executive Secretary, Calibration/Validation Panel, EOS Project Science Office, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD
- Project Scientist, Earth Sciences Gallery, NASA GSFC Visitor Center, Greenbelt MD
- Executive Director, Co-founder, Consortium for Analysis in Space Exploration, Baltimore, MD and Dijon, France
- Task and Project Manager, EER Systems Corp., on COBE, GRO, and Space Station Projects, NASA GSFC, Greenbelt, MD
- Deputy Director, Laboratory for Chemical Evolution, University of Maryland College Park, MD
- Board Member, Outreach Center for Sustainable Building, Washington, D.C.
- Board Member, LAT, Inc. (an Internet and telecommunications firm), Manhattan, MT
- Chairman, Board of Trustees, Gallatin River Ranch Rural Fire District, Manhattan, MT
Consultant, facilitator, reviewer, editor, writer on over $200,000,000 of successful research and business proposals and cost-sharing, with sterling record supporting SBIR/STTR (to the tune of over $20,000,000), BAA, and multi-entity research/engineering center proposals (NSF ERCs, NSECs, MRSECs, IGERTs, etc.)
Publishing, Outreach, and Education
- Technical and assistant editor, author, The Earth Observer, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD
- Judge and mentor, Conrad Foundation Spirit of Innovation Challenge, Houston, TX.
- Technical editor and author of scientific and technical reports for academia, private sector, and government agencies.
- Content editor and author of scientific and technical materials for lay audiences at many levels.
- Consultant and Information Provider, Web site development, Integrated Program Office, NOAA, Silver Spring, MD
- Outreach Scientist, Consortium for the International Earth Science Information Network, Washington, D.C.
- Visiting Scientist, SKILL Program, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology, Rapid City, SD
- Advisor, Earth System Science, Challenger Center, Greenbelt, MD.
- Adjunct Professor, MBA program, Merrick School of Business, University of Baltimore, Baltimore, MD
- Adjunct Instructor, College of Business, Montana State University; Bozeman, MT
Conferences, Symposia, Meetings, and Workshops
Organizer, presenter, facilitator, technical workshops, meetings, conferences, and symposia in the U.S. and abroad.
Information transfer in biological systems; physical chemistry of biomolecules; origins of the genetic code and biochirality; nucleic acid/protein interactions; ligand control of biomacromolecular function; roles of computers in research.
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center Customer Service Excellence Award (1999)
Current Professional Memberships
- American Geophysical Union
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (Senior Member)
- Association for Computing Machinery
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (Senior Member)
- International Astrobiology Society
- Sigma Xi